Beginning with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a&w menu prices grew into the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. Along the way it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. 100 many years of history is, well, a lot of history. But here’s an excellent start.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, with all the first mug of Root Beer served at a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it absolutely was the first U.S. chain restaurant to grow to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is more than sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the first Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (invented by Dale Murder who became president and it is now chairman in the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the excellent Root Bear as its mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California houses the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of A&W Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds available in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) You can find nearly 1,000 A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 inside the U.S.
On June 20, A&W had become the first American restaurant chain to turn 100. The very first frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California in a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W has a long past of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration and also the third year it provides partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV hope to raise $200,000 for the organization, which serves more than one million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided an estimated $6 million in direct benefits to veterans.
“Our partnership with A&W is growing annually, and we truly appreciate its support for your ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs in our American heroes are xagtcr as great today as 100 years ago, so we are incredibly thrilled to again be using aAndW on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised more than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
In Regards To AAndW – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, what time does a&w open still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water and a proprietary blend of herbs, bark, spices and berries that are served in a frosty mug together with burgers, fries, chicken tenders as well as other All American Food® favorites. You can find nearly one thousand locations worldwide.